Today’s DIY is a great recipe that feels great on the skin and is thin enough to be used as a refill in your lotion bottle!
What You Need:
- 1 tsp vitamin E oil
- 3/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 3 Tbsp refined mango butter
- 2 Tbsp cocoa butter
- 1 Tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1 cup distilled water
- 40 drops of fragrance oil of your choice! We highly recommend these: French Market, Mango, or Violet!
- Make sure that your blender, bowl and all utensils are very clean when you make this. (If they’re not fully sanitized, then your lotion can grow bacteria or mold.) Clean everything with hot soapy water, then swab with rubbing alcohol or vinegar, and let air dry.
- In a heat safe glass bowl, combine the sweet almond oil, mango butter, cocoa butter, and beeswax.
- Place the glass bowl on top of a saucepan partially filled with water, over medium heat. This creates a type of double boiler. Stir occasionally until everything is melted and combined.
- Allow the oil mixture to cool for a few minutes before pouring it into your blender. Let this mixture cool until it’s room temperature. It should look creamy, thick and opaque, but don’t let it get solid. Optional: You can place the blender in the fridge for about 35 minutes to speed up the process.
- Add the vitamin E oil and fragrance oil to the cooled oil mixture. If you’re using a table-top blender, blend the mixture with the lid on for a few seconds. If you’re using an immersion blender, place the stick in the bottom of the mixture (in a high-rimmed bowl), and blend for a few seconds, pulsing up and down at the bottom a few times.
- With your distilled water in the glass measuring cup, slowly pour it into the oil mixture in a very thin drizzle while the blender is on medium/low.
- Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds more.
- Immediately pour the lotion into a jar and store away from light and heat.