For the guys out there looking for some DIYS to try, here’s a recipe to create a homemade shaving cream which is great because you know what ingredients are going in it and you can customize the scent to your liking!
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup shea butter (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Double Boiler
- 20 drops of your favorite fragrance oil. We recommend: Amber Romance, Bay Rum or Pine Needle!
(How many drops you want to use will depend on how strongly you want the shaving cream to smell. I would start with 20 and go from there)
- In a double boiler,* add in the coconut oil and shea butter – break the shea butter up into smaller pieces before adding it so that it melts faster.
- Once everything is melted, transfer to a large bowl and stir in the olive oil.
- Place in the fridge and leave there until everything has solidified – it doesn’t have to be hard, just no longer liquid-y – kind of like softened butter.
- Once it has solidified, transfer to the stand mixer bowl (or use a hand mixer and leave it in the same bowl) and whip for about three minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- As you are whipping the shaving cream, add the fragrance oils. You can stop this process periodically and rub a little bit of the cream on your skin to test the scent level and decide whether or not to add more fragrance oil.
- Transfer to an airtight jar and store in your bathroom! Enjoy the best shaving experience ever!
**To assemble a double boiler, fill a medium pot with a few inches of water. Place on the stove over high heat and place a glass bowl on top of the pot. The bottom of the glass bowl should not be touching the top of the water – if it is, then your water level is too high and you need to pour some out. Bring the water to a simmer, and it will gently melt your ingredients that are in the glass bowl.*
This recipe makes about 2 cups.